Current Affairs Quiz Set 42
Q1. Who among the following has been appointed as the SDG (Sustainable Development Goals) advocate?
- Priyanka Chopra
- Anushka Sharma
- Dia Mirza
- Deepika Padukone
- United Nations appointed Indian actress-producer Dia Mirza as an advocate of Sustainable Development Goals.
- SDG Advocates are globally influential public figures who are committed to inspiring greater ambition, raising awareness, and pushing for faster action on SDGs.
Q2. Which among the following is the world’s best airport?
- Afonso Pena International Airport
- Athens International Airport
- Hamad International Airport
- Gdansk Lech Wa??sa Airport
- The world's best airport is in Hamad International Airport, Qatar while Portugal's Lisbon Portela Airport is ranked as the worst.
- Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, India in Hyderabad has been ranked at the eighth position.
- The airports are rated based on three factors: on-time performance, service quality, and food and shopping options
Q3. Which of the following countries has tested World’s fastest bullet train?
- Japan started testing its latest and fastest bullet train.
- The Shinkansen ALFA-X is capable of reaching 400 kilometers per hour (249 mph), and it’s expected to enter operation around 2030.
- When it does, the ALFA-X will likely become the world's fastest bullet train, carrying passengers around 360 kph (224 mph).
- The train, built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Hitachi, has 10 cars and a 72-foot-long aerodynamic nose.
- First the train will have to undergo three years of testing.
Q4. Who among the following has been appointed as the Prime Minister of Palestine?
- Mohammed Ishtayeh
- Mahmmoud Abbas
- Rami Hamdallah
Q5. Where was the World’s first Artificial Intelligence (AI) summit held?
- The United Arab Emirates hosted the world’s first Artificial Intelligence Summit- “AI Everything” for two days i.e. on April 30th and May 1st, 2019.
- It was hosted by the UAE National Program for Artificial Intelligence in association with International Telecommunication Union, ITU, WIPO, and the World Intellectual Property Organization.
Q6. Who among the following was awarded the Guillermo Cano Press Freedom Prize?
- Wa Lone
- Kyaw Soe Oo
- Both (a) & (b)
- Maria Ressa
- The 2019 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano Press Freedom Prize has been awarded to Reuters reporters Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo.
- The jury has recognised their exceptional courage in reporting on alleged human rights violations in the Myanmar’s state of Rakhine.
- The UNESCO/Guillermo Cano Press Freedom Prize recognises outstanding contributions to the defence or promotion of press freedom especially in the face of danger.
Q7. Which of the following launched the World’s biggest airplane?
- The world’s largest airplane took flight for the first time from Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California.
- It was built by rocket launch company Stratolaunch.
- It is a 500,000-pound plane with a 385-foot wingspan.
Q8. Who among the following is the first Indian to be appointed Chair of International Hockey Federation (IFH) Health and Safety Committee?
- BK Nayak
- Praful Patel
- Sanjay Sharma
- Praful Mehta
- Bibhu Kalyan Nayak became the first Indian to be appointed Chair of International Hockey Federation (FIH) Health and Safety Committee by the world governing body.
- He will serve a two-year term lasting till the first executive board meeting after Congress 2020.
Q9. Who among the following has won the Abel Prize 2019?
- Karen Uhlenbeck
- Dan Freed
- Richard Palais
- Emmy Noether
- Karen Uhlenbeck won the Abel Prize 2019 for her fundamental work in geometric analysis and gauge theory.
- She is the first woman to win this award. It is one of the most prestigious awards.
- This award has been named after the 19th century Norwegian mathematician Niels Henrik Abel to honour outstanding scientific work in the field of mathematics, a discipline not included among the Nobel awards.
Q10. What will be the colour of newly launched 20 rupee note?
- The Rs 20 note will be greenish-yellow in colour.
- The new banknote has a motif of Ellora Caves on the reverse and the dimension of the new Rs 20 note is 63 mm x 129 mm.
Q11. Which is the first state in the country to launch a single emergency number?
- Himachal Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh is the first state to launch single emergency number '112'. It is similar to 911 of the United States.
- Nagaland was the first North-Eastern state to do the same.
Q12. Which of the following launched the BepiColombo mission to the planet Mercury ?
- JAXA & ISRO
- ESA & ISRO
- ESA & JAXA
- NASA & ISRO
- BepiColombo is a joint mission of the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) to the planet Mercury.
- The mission comprises two satellites launched together: the Mercury Planetary Orbiter and Mio
Q13. Which of the following will launched the Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) mission?
- The Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) – NASA’s first mission to demonstrate a planetary defense technique – will get one chance to hit its target, the small moonlet in the binary asteroid system Didymos.
- DART will intercept the target when the asteroid will be within 11 million km of Earth.
Q14. VARUNA naval exercise was conducted in which of the following countries?
- Varuna Naval Exercise is an annual bilateral naval exercise of India and France.
- India and France held Varuna 19.2, the second phase of naval exercise in strategically-located Djibouti in Africa, in a high-level demonstration of military cooperativeness between the two navies.
- While the first phase of the Varuna exercise took place off the coast of Goa, the second leg was held in Djibouti where China set up its first overseas military base nearly two years ago.
Q15. Who among the following has been appointed as India’s first Lokpal?
- Abhilasha Kumari
- Pradip Kumar Mohanty
- Dilip B Bhosale
- Pinaki Chandra Ghose
- Former Supreme Court judge Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose was appointed as the country's first Lokpal, the anti-corruption ombudsman.
The Lokpal and Lokayukta Act, which envisages appointment of a Lokpal at the Centre and Lokayuktas in states to look into cases of corruption against certain categories of public servants, was passed on 2013.